Re: Modeling the transformer

Herbert!

I think that what you have, is a potential transformer, which is
intended to deliver an accurate means of measuring the voltage on a
HV-line, but not deliver any great power doing so. The highish secondary
resistance points in that direction. I can only guess at the reason for
putting a large airgap in the core, the only reason that I can think of
is a desire to make the transformer immune to a DC-bias on the line.

The open circuit current is much to high for a power transformer this
size.

I would suggest trying to take that airgap out, by rearranging the core
elements, if possible. This would raise the inductances to more usefull
levels.

In the model, as in the real world, the voltage step up ratio is
determined by the inductive ratio, whereas the short circuit current is
determined by the coupling. (And I don`t think the coupling is
particularly dependant on an airgap, in fact it must be very high on
your transformer, due to the concentrig arrangement of the windings).

However, a transformer like yours is not in it self short circuit
current limited. The 130 mA rating has to do with the accuracy class
that the transformer is placed in. It will deliver much more current
into a short than that. You need to put an external inductor in the
primary feed to acheive current limiting, and it is this inductor that
should be in the 30-70mH range.

Anyway, I don`t think the inductances in the transformer need to be
modelled particularly accurate, with regard to the resonant situation.
The transformer is itself "transparent" , in the sence that it
transforms the  current limiting inductance into an equivalent higher
value on the secondary side, trough it`s turns ratio squared, and it is
this value that determines the resonant frequency in concord with the
tank capacitor.

To sum up:
If possibly, take the airgap out of the transformer, and get the open
circuit current down to a reasonable level.
Establish a model that provides the voltage step up level trough
Lsec= Lpri^2 * V_stepup_ratio
Set the coupling to 0.9999
Introduce a current limiting inductor in the primary feed, and adjust
the size of it for appropriate short circuit current draw.

I am sending you the model that I use for my own needs, off list,
perhaps it will give you some new ideas. It is currently set up with 4
MOT`s.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer