From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2000 8:46 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Warning Desasterous MMC failures, Rotton caps from Mouser.

Original poster: "Mike Novak" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

Garry,
How far apart are your caps? With strings of 15 each, the individual caps
shouldn't see more than 1kV each. So, unless they are spaced <2mm, they
should not arc to each other... However, as far as the bleeders go, I think
John M.'s design for MMCs is best. Use 1/4" thick plexi or lexan and put the
bleeders beneath the caps.  I use those hosfelt snubbers which I mounted
that way with a spacing of 1/4" and it works flawlessly. Soldering these was
almost too easy. I used small dabs of 100% silicone caulk to hold each cap
in place, then I bent their leads down and tied all the bleeders in. After
that, it took about 5 mins per string to solder.
It seems to me $85 is a heck of alot to pay for 6.6nF. Maybe you should use
these:
http://www.illcap-dot-com/FilmRadialDetails.asp?FilmQuery_Action=Find('PARTNUMBE
RID','10771')&FilmQuery_Position=FIL%3ASERIESID+%3D+%2734%27ORD%3AABS%3A43KE
Y%3A10771PAR%3A
I bought these in my bulk buy earlier this summer. They cost 1.45 each, they
have a dv/dt of 4200, and they have a hefty expoxy potted package. Others
who bought these got a dramatic increase in streamer length when switching
from saltwater caps to these. However, the minimum order is 25 caps as I
recall, so you'll end up paying about $35-40 for a box. You could get two
strings of 5.5nF -at- 24kVDC for half of what you paid for those crap mouser
caps. I suggest you write mouser a nasty letter and move on. Heck, you could
even sell the other string of caps if you don't want them.
Just don't give up after a setback such as this. Please reconsider your
removal request, we're in this togather remember.
Hope that helped,

-Mike

mailto:acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com