RE: TC Primary Q Voltage Magnification

I don't believe there is any such magnification in spark gap-based coils.
When the gap fires, the voltage across the tank circuit is at it's peak, and
diminishes from that point on.  Q-based magnification is relevant only when
there is a continuous addition of energy to the circuit, as in the case of a
vacuum tube or other CW-type coils.  With disruptive coils, the energy in
the tank has diminished to zero before the tank cap has begun to recharge.
Just look at any of the primary voltage scope traces on various web sites.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA