RE: Science fair help...

Hi Michael,
My name is Dale.
I'm 55, an electrical engineer, originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
where I was an avid electronics experimenter as an
amateur radio licensee at 13, K3MNN, mostly for RF circuit experimentation,
radio direction finding & miniature transmitters, receivers were passions
11 year sunspot maxima of 60's spurred interest in long distance communication.

I started out experimenting with auto ignition coils,
taking them apart and making a vibrator adapted to the central
coil laminations to cause a constant HV output from a 6V battery.

I built my first TC in sixth grade.

I've been an LA County and Calif State Science Fair for 16 years.
I originated (1995) and sponsor CSSF "The Silicon Boule Award"
to acknowledge distinctive performance in the physical sciences:

  http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF/History/1997/pictures/BouleSr.html

  http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF/History/1998/pictures/Boule.jpg

  http://www.usc.edu/CMSI/CalifSF/History/1999/pictures/SiliconBoule.html

I worked with many SF TC projects that rose to the top (1st: local, county
& state).
How you do depends on the project, your dedication and willingness to learn
and apply,
your ability to present clearly what you have done in writing and verbally
in a way that meets judging expectations unique to each particular Science
Fair.

Are you eligible to go on to county and state fairs ?
If not the formalities are usually not as rigid to place well
but utilizing them will get you on the right track for the future.

You do plan on becoming a scientist, engineer or physicist, Right !

In Calif., the title you proposed would put you in the
Engineering Applications (EA) category due to practical application.

EA requires the project to prove degree and rationale for usefulness
in the application, a deviation from theoretical proof using Scientific Method.

For your TC project I would recommend a more Science / Physics
approach to be evaluated to your advantage on your ability to apply and
exploit the Scientific Method.

Start a daily LOG,
	good judges like to see the day to day log:
	even scraps of paper you use to brainstorm ideas
	  090100: today I brainstormed potential ideas for this years project
including:
		using my TC to measure if useful power can be transferred without wires
	  111700: Asked the teslalist for advice:
		here is a list of the responses and the providers

Know the SLAP, Scientific Laws And Principles, as they apply to your project,
	build on, and refer to, SLAP, as your project develops
	Any electrical project must include:
	Real Power: Ohms Law E=IR, I=E/R, R=E/I, P=IE =I^2R = E^2/R
	TC involve resonance  Fr=1/(2Pi*sqr(LC))
		Reactance: XL=2PI*FL, Xc=1/(2Pi*FC), cancel each other only at resonance,
		do not dissipate real power i.e. its imaginary power.
		(dc resistance of the inductors wire and sparking loads dissipate real
power = heat,
		  spark loads transform to additional series dc R,
		  dynamically i.e. each spark is different load which
		  reflects a different series dc resistance.
			No One said this stuff was Simple ! :-))
			but each problem taken by itself is simpler.

credit resources used and individuals who helped you and in what capacity,

Propose a hypothesis, incorporate controls (i.e. have only one variable to
test),

perform tests, take data (confine ea test data taking to solving one
specific objective/problem)
	data needs be objective not subjective i.e. don't say bulb was brighter
	instead use a calibrated means. Borrow instruments from the school or ask
a local business
		many instruments can built inexpensively with credit to you for ingenuity
		commercial instruments offer high level of credibility
			but must be understood and used properly

graph the data, explain data and
draw conclusions proving or disproving your hypothesis.

A possible title and related hypothesis such as:
Wireless Power Transfer of the Impulsive Tesla Coil

Leaving it more open allows you to develop the specifics
even different receiver implementations for comparison
in your experimentation and to report and draw impressive conclusions.

(the gap and AC waveform creates "impulses" of energy thus "Impulsive")

Ideas for Thought:
To transfer energy you do not want any corona or sparks.
	(this may be contrary to why you chose to do a TC project)
	(if so change the hypothesis accordingly)
You, like Nikola, want a toroid that is large enough to prevent
breakout which would represent power Loss
	or you yourself do tests: breakout Vs non
	(control: each tuned to optimum resonance)and present the comparison.
	bonus: this result would be of keen interest to this list
In this scenario the Ground integrity becomes a more important common
element to the transmitter and receiver. (so not "quite" wireless, quasi ?)
The best power receiver for a Transmitting TC is likely a
second identical co-resonant Receiving TC (tunable for optimum transfer).

Study via the internet:
my vote for best TC site is:
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/r.e.burnett/

and of course, Matt Behrends excellent formula organization:
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/index.html

then use the Tesla Ring and check out sites for yourself.
http://nav.webring.yahoo-dot-com/hub?ring=TeslaRing&list

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Dale
Redondo Beach, Calif.

see
picts of my SS DC batt powered TC; components, 28" arcs, scope I & V:
http://www.cowmail-dot-net/dalehalldctc/
and more recent 38" power arc picts at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Temp/
 09, 12 15bal.... (38" discharges -at-<1W Pin) Terry posted for me.

PS re: Safety:
The biggest safety danger:
is Complacency caused by repeatedly performing tests
and/or taking short cuts to get results more quickly,
working tired to get some more results/data/etc.,
working Alone (not a good idea w/HV, though many of us do
just that - more reason to exercise extra care/reason/judgement.

"Respect" for the potential danger is the best preventative measure.

but must be combined with education, well conceived plans, solid
construction practice,
the use of the buddy system of power application in case something goes wrong,
understanding of the apparatus and its potential during a fault, like the
use of dead man switch, where power is removed when button pressure is released
 - often a foot pedal for TC's perhaps with a default timer on said switch
that automatically turns power off after a preset time, limiting exposure
liability,
especially early in understanding & development.

Many tests may be performed in 10 sec or less.