Re: Frequency relation

In a message dated 11/15/00 6:44:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Hansens" <gldhansen-at-rcn-dot-com>
>

>  Hi All,
>   I know that with a magnifier no specific frequency ratio is required for
>  the driver and the extra coil, but are there any guidelines one should
>  follow?  What if they're both at the same frequency?
>
>  Thanks,
>  David Hansen

David,

Generally, you want the extra coil to have a lot more inductance
than the driver.  this keeps the voltage at the top of the driver
lower, and prevents flashover.  In one of my magnifiers, I used
7mH in the driver secondary, and 30mH in the extra coil.
Generally they won't work as well if they're calc'd to be at teh
same frequency.

JOhn Freau