Re: NST current, was Filters & Chokes

In a message dated 11/16/00 12:26:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Jon Rosenstiel" <jonr-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>  Gary, John, All,
>
>  Using a 0.014uF tank cap with my 120bps SRSG I managed to pull 18A at
120Vac
>  using a modified 15/30 Jefferson, (every 3rd shunt was cut off giving about
>  43mA at 120Vac short circuit current). I couldn't understand why the coil's
>  performance rapidly  fell off and the NST was getting so hot. (When I later
>  removed the cover to inspect my submerged in oil NST it looked as though
the
>  oil had been boiling!)  I then started experimenting with the SRSG's timing
>  and found another "sweet spot" where the spark output was better yet and
the
>  input current dropped to 6A at 120Vac. This "sweet spot" was located 52
>  degrees ahead, (advanced), from the original setting that drew 18A.
>  Now my coil was "happy", it would seemingly run forever at this setting. No
>  performance drop off, no transformer overheating.
>
>  FWIW,
>
>  Jon

Jon,

I always run at the lowest current sweet spot using my NST and
sync gap.  I monitor both the input wattage with a wattmeter,
and the current with an ammeter, and I make sure my power
factor is good.  The bad stot you mention has a miserable
power factor.

John Freau