Re: bps and spark growth, was Superior Power Supply

In a message dated 11/15/00 2:24:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I'm not sure about what BPS number at which this would start to have effect,
>  limiting spark length though.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Alan Williams.

Alan,

When I went down to 30 bps, the arcs did not grow properly,
but at 60 bps and 120 bps, they grew fine.  My coil gives 42"
sparks.  Greg Leyh's large old coil needed a higher bps to give
best (28 foot) sparks.  I think he used something around 350 bps.
When he ran his coil at 120 bps, the sparks did not coalesce and
grow, rather they just gave a bunch of little sparks all around the
toroid, what is often called the gas burner effect.  I got this same gas
burner effect at 30 bps.  But in Greg's Giant Electrum coil (now in
New Zealand), he was able to run down to about 110 bps or so and
still get good spark growth and coalescence of the sparks.

John Freau