Re: Filters & Chokes

Nope... copper sulfate and water works quite well and can give nice
resistance ranges in reasonable sizes.  The real problem is heat
dissipation.  Most electrically insulating tubes are also good thermal
insulators, so getting the heat out of the water is a problem.  Great for
pulsed duty though.

A 0.1 Mol (16g/liter) solution is around 40K for 1 meter long by 0.32 sq cm
(1/4" ID).  If you needed a 10K resistor, you could either go to 25 cm of
1/4" tubing, or to a meter of 1/2" ID tubing, or 4 lengths of 1/4" in
parallel.  (depends on power dissipation, really).

If you need real low resistances, in the tens of ohms, this might not be
the best scheme.  For high resistances, you can reduce the concentration of
salt.  There is a limit, though.