Re: open circuited NST's, was ICE vs Water/dielectric comparison

In a message dated 11/11/00 12:16:04 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< I don't think the NST is happy with the open connection, not
 because of over-current, but due to the constant HV on the
 secondary which threatens to break down the tar.  >>

Henry, John,
I recently posted on a related subject; your topic comes as close to a
response as I have seen. I was running a 15/30 in parallel with a 15/60 and a
52 uF PFC. I was getting
a 20 inch spark from my bipolar. The coil was working perfectly in June. I
didn't turn it on again until October and the coil had totally wimped out. I
started replacing the NSTs
and the MMC. I finally got the coil fired up with a new set of transformers.
My problem is that I do not know what happened to the NSTs or how to prove
it. Is there any way to test
an NST with the HV connected and operating under load? On the bench, the NSTs
all check out. They are correctly phased, the DC resistance's check out, and
the HV side
arcs each side to case ground and across the entire winding.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman