Re: AC Split phase motor????

Thanks Bert,

It sounds like you nailed it.  The instantaneous HV on the motor case
probably found the nearby mains windings very tempting !

This is one reason why I connect my motor chassis to the utility ground
instead of the RF ground.  The RF ground is very noisy when the coil is
running,  and this must put considerable stress on the insulation between
the case and the windings.

I opened up the damaged motor,  but unfortunately the run winding of
my motor had opened deep inside the stator,  and I didn't have the
patience to rewind it.  I agree about the follow-through current.

						Cheers,

						-Richie,