Re: open circuited NST's, was ICE vs Water/dielectric comparison

In a message dated 11/10/00 9:16:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> On this silver discussion list
>  someone made a comment that an open NST is more
>  harmful  to the NST transformer than a shorted one. I
>  really dont see how that can apply as the primary
>  should then be at its minimal amperage consumption
>  with the secondaries at max impedance of open
>  circuit.; adding a load just increases that primary
>  amperage consumption. Perhaps they have confused an
>  open circuit with that of a tesla primary with the arc
>  gap set too wide!
>
>  Sincerely HDN

HDN,

I don't think the NST is happy with the open connection, not
because of over-current, but due to the constant HV on the
secondary which threatens to break down the tar.  The NST
is designed to run at a much lower voltage of about 800 volts
when loaded by the neon tube.  the 15kV is just a short burst
to light the tube.

John Freau