Re: Sonotube's high RF loss!...yes or no?

  The microwave-oven test is just a "rule of thumb" thing; as others
have pointed out, very few TC's operate at 2.54 (IIRC) GHz. Looking for
RF absorption that high may seem silly, and as you say even ceramics and
glass will heat up (melt?? wow!) at that freq., but you gotta start
somewhere. I s'pose the "right" thing to do would be to assemble a bunch
of candidate materials the same size and use them as inserts in the same
coil and run as close to identical tests as possible while monitoring RF
power transfer. Since to my knowledge nobody's done that, well, just use
what works for you, I guess.

 Since we're (still) on the subject of other materials for TC forms,
what "exotic" materials have been used and rejected i.e. various
plastics, glasses, and so on? From first principles, I'd have said glass
was the ideal material, but nobody seems to recommend it. There needs to
be a TC-specific FAQ on this somewhere IMHO. Looking up RF absorption
curves for various materials can be a pain because researchers will look
for losses in their area of interest (what they're funded to do) which
sometimes leaves us out in the cold. The Devil's in the details.

  Mark L. Fergerson