[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coil probs... please help...

>120V 60hz in, 15KV 30ma out on the transformer
>variable static spark gap....  can get loads of nice white sparks with no
>trouble... so I know the primary circuit is going good

cool...

>2 salt water caps... these have 24 bottles in each... I haven't measured
>the
>caps so I don't know their ratings... I'm a little short on money... but
>I'm
>guessing their close to what I need

I already covered that one.

>8.75 loops of 3/8 inch copper pipe, spaced at 1/2 inch with an 8 inch
>center
>coil for the primary

Seems like rather few turns, but it's rather large pipe. You *might* have
trouble tuning with this, but I dunno.

>14awg coiled around 4.5 inch PVC, 24 inches high for the secondary
>wire running from bottom of coil to a piece of rebar driven about 3-4 feet
>into the ground... the ground around here is mostly Texas stone... which
>might be a major problem

Might be, but I'd bet more on the 14AWG (that's HUGE for a 4.5" dia coil)
and the extra 6" of secondary you have hanging out there :) It seems
candlesticked. I wouls reccomend winding another secondary, don't ruin your
current one, just make another. Try 4.5" X 18" and wind it with about 22AWG,
see what happens.

>I've experimented with several top loads... both are made from aluminum
>dryer ducting... one is about 12 inch outside diameter... the second is
>about 2 foot outer diameter... I've tried each one and combining the two...
>i also played with the tuning on all three settings... no luck
>
>am i doing something seriously wrong or am i just way of in my tuning or
>something like that... i would appreciate any help that any of you would
>have
>
>thanks,
>Kelly

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1