[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary winding, an easier way

In a message dated 5/26/00 12:50:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 I was wondering is their an easy way to wind the primary than just winding
 through holes.  Also if the windings are not all the same length apart is
 that going to effect performance a lot.  Thanks

Make the formers or ribs with notches in them for the copper tubing to either
rest in or snap into.  It is very difficult to try to force a long length of
copper tubing through holes in the ribs.  I used 3/8" tubing with notches cut
into the ribs with holes drilled under each notch.  The first primary, I used
waxed lacing cord to spot tie each intersection of copper tubing and notch.
The second primary, I used small plastic tye wraps to hold the tubing in
place.  I used 3/8" spacing and used a 3/8" drill bit to continually check
the spacing as I laid it in place.  Absolute perfect spacing is not required
but it does look better.  I wound the primary in the coil direction that the
copper tubing comes in out of the box, and slid a copper tubing bender (looks
like a spring) over the tubing to help work in into place without bending it
too sharply.  You can make all your ribs identically but be sure to stagger
them when you glue them in place so the coil will form a natural spiral.
Example:  turn one starts at rib # 1 in the first slot.  If you use 3/8"
tubing with 3/8" spacing, the first slot in rib #8 (assuming you use 8 total)
needs to be offset by 3/4".  Wind it from the inside out.

Ed Sonderman