[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nickel spray

In a message dated Thu, 25 May 2000  3:25:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:

<< Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com

     How about a quick etch inside the bottle using hydrofluoric acid, et.
     al., then pouring in some aluminized roof coating?  A few pour-in,
     pour-out cycles should build up a pretty good lining.  Has anyone
     tried roof coating before for creating a conductive surface?  Does it
     work?

     Aric

Aric,
  I would suggest NOT using HF.  Although it would be very effective, it is
a very dangerous method.  I read the Boston Medical Journal on HF burns and
it is a very nasty way to ruin your day if you happen to spill it on
yourself.  It will attack the cells in your tissues and not stop until it
reaches the bone and reacts with the calcium.  The pictures in the article
were enough to convince me.
   Hot NaOH solution is nothing to be casual about itself, but it is not
nearly as bad as a burn from HF.
Mike