[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

lightning arrestor for safety gap

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had tried using a lightning arrestor (the kind
your local electric utility co. uses on primary lines to protect their pole
transformers from lightning surges) as a safety spark gap for a pole pig?
I have one rated at 12 KV that a picked up at the last Teslathon in VA,
and I decided to hook it up to my pig. So far, so good! It seems to me
that this should be a good idea, since these things are designed to pro-
tect the pole xfmrs from overvoltage surges by allowing the  momentary
overvoltage to short out to ground. Isn't that what a safety gap does?

Also, I've read that Richard Hull doesn't even use safety gaps with pole
pig powered systems over 5kVA. At these power levels, the safety gap
may not want to quinch, oncethe ionized path has been established.

I would welcome any comments from other members out there.

                                                                 Thanks,
                                                            David