[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: model 1256 variac (28 amp)

Hi Powdermnky007,

	A variac is basically a variable transformer.  120 volts goes in and 0 to
140 volts comes out which is adjustable by a big dial knob.  By adjusting
the voltage going into our coils, we can vary the power of the coil.  This
is very convenient for gradually turning the power up and testing.

It is basically just a very large steel core inductor (coil of wire) that
can be tapped anywhere along the winding.

I have the instructions to one of mine posted at:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/VarFrnt.jpg
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/VarFrnt.jpg

Basically the neutral wires, both into and out of the variac, connect to
the one end of the coil.  The hot ac input connects to the other end of the
coil.  The wiper is the adjustable hot AC output.

Hope this helps.  Ask more questions if you need to since hooking them up
wrong can burn them up.

Cheers,

	Terry