[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sonotube coil

In a message dated 5/17/00 7:06:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: ajones-at-pointlink-dot-net
>
>  I thought I would post the results of my latest coil firings and see
>  if anyone had any comments.
>
>  The specs are:
>  2 5000v 300ma transformers connected anti-parallel and driven with
>  140vac.
>  .095uF capacitance consisting of an mmc plus a .01uF Fair Radio cap.
>  sync-rotary gap.
>  11 turn primary of 3/8" copper tube with 3/8" spacing between turns.
>  12-3/4" x 48" sonotube wound full length with 20gauge magnet wire.
>  9-1/2" x 49" drain pipe toroid which is way too heavy.
>
>  With this setup last night, it was hitting 95" several times.

Hi Alan,

These are the longest sparks I heard of anyone achieving from
two of those H & R photocopier transformers that you're using.
I've seen the coil on your videotape and it is spectacular.  It shows
that sync operation at 120 bps with a large bang size is much more
important for long sparks than worrying about the form material, type
of primary, etc.  The cardboard secondary works fine.  Very nice
work !!

Cheers,
John Freau
---