[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wives and Tesla coils

In a message dated 5/17/2000 7:16:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original Poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
>  I'm a little confused by all of the posts suggesting to enclose or
otherwise
>  muffle the gap noise.  When I have a 4-5 foot streamer coming off of my
>  topload, I believe it is the streamer, not the gap, that is the source of
>  the noise.
>
>  Gary Lau
>  Waltham, MA USA

Funny, I wanted to say the same thing!   With my first couple of coils, the
power wasn't much so the spark gap was the noise maker.  Now the arcs and
streamers seem to be the noise generators.
    I did make one multi gap for a 5kV, 30ma powered coil out of a bunch (in
other words, I don't remember the exact number)of brass and mica washers all
held together with a ceramic 1/4 20 bolt.  This was nearly a noiseless spark
gap.  It just made a hissing sound.
Mike