[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-tech Question

In a message dated 5/15/00 1:48:12 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< This may sound like blasphemy. But this posting is truly a desire to
 understand something of the philosophy of the coiler that so far has
 escaped me.

 The truth is out there and I want to believe...someone once said.
 Help me to understand. And I will thank you all.

 Ted Rosenberg

Ted,

Yes, the truth is out there, but what truth are you looking for and how will
you
recognize it?

I would suggest that it is not the Tesla coiler who need concern himself with
the "philosophy" of coiling. The burden, rather, falls on anyone who would
question the pursuit of knowledge as a noble thing of itself needing no
justification.

The story is oft told that JFK was never seen to kiss a baby when out working
the political rallies. On one occasion, a mother thrust her infant into
Kennedy's arms; JFK was seen to wince and draw back. He remarked to the
mother: "nice baby, we will know more later."

JFK at least understood something about human nature. He understood that the
baby is a means to an end. We never know what that end will be for the baby,
but for most of us
the end is knowledge and truth in some form or other.  For some, the truth
lies in theology, some seek the truth in the arts and humanities, and some
seek the truth in math, science and technology.

The search for truth is noble and enriching no matter where the search may
lead.
The fascination of a Tesla coil needs no more justification than do the
studies of the
theologian or the philosopher, either of whom could no doubt explain this
verity far better than I.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman