[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Non-tech Question

Hi Ted,
If you have to ask - you'll never understand :-)  Sorry, but that's my first
hand experience after talking to maybe a hundred people about Tesla Coils...
or 9000 Joule pulse caps... or the 128 horsepower on the rear wheel of my
motorcycle.

I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are coilers, but I'm betting the
dominant reason is the theme you have already mentioned - it's "guy stuff".
It's mean looking, dangerously throws lethal white-hot arcs all over the
place (well, not really, but it looks that way), makes lots of noise, scares
the women & children, etc.  The other main reasons you will hear is that we
enjoy the science and engineering behind Tesla Coils and that we just like
to build stuff.

I almost said that I'm half on the "guy stuff" side and half on the "science
side", but that was before I seriously though about it.  If I was really
into science and engineering , I could spend all my time trying to figure
out how to scratch build a micro-powered QRP ham rig that I could talk to
other countries on.  That would be at least as hard as Tesla Coiling and
would probably teach me about as much radio and EE stuff.  Although it
sounds like a neat project, the idea of making a milliwatt device and
learning all those clicks and beeps (morse) just bores me to tears when I
compare it to making BIG ARCS!  I also love to build stuff, but you don't
see me making furniture or bookshelves, both of which I could use more than
another coil.  Nope, after thinking about it, I have to admit that I mainly
do it because it thrills me.

Now don't get me wrong, I love learning about the theory of coiling and have
learned much from all of the little side roads that coiling has taken me
down.  Although I never saw a "live" coil until 2 years ago when I first
flipped the switch on mine, I was really hooked twenty-something years ago
as I watched my first thunderstorm - I just didn't know it yet.

Making Arcs in Huntington Beach, CA
Ross Overstreet
http://users.better-dot-org/roverstreet/