[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Question

At 08:39 PM 14/05/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "A W" <fateagk-at-home-dot-com>
>
>I am building a RQ gap and I am in need of information. I am confused
>about the spacing between each gap. I am using seven 3/4 inch pipe
>couplers for six gaps in a 4" pvc pipe. My power source is a 12/30 NST
>and using WinTesla, it says I need .2381" between each gap. I havnt seen
>anybody that says they need that much of a gap. On the websites I have
>seen, people say they have a total gap of that much with an individual
>gap size of like .03". What is correct. I am trying to follow specs that
>coilers are using on their coils that are proven to work. I am also
>trying to use wintesla as a reference. Can someone please help?
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew

Hello Andrew:

I used a strip of .025" aluminum as my "feeler gauge" to set the gaps
between the pipe sections.  This gave me a total gap of .150" using 7
sections of pipe for 6 gaps.  Anything in that range should be OK.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca