[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor ?

Hi all,
       Came across some caps today at a surplus store.
WEGO  500pf  30kvdc  type 8339
  8428        (0631)  5910-99-765-9271
They are out of a radar system ( they think ).
I cut one open and they are as follows.

4 inches long by 1 inch diameter
Fibre glass outer casing 1/16 thick
Terminals one at each end  3/16 diameter
Metal foil on what I think is waxed paper ( didn't think waxed paper could be
30kv)
the whole cap is full of Vaseline
terminals have a nice thick wire soldiered to the inside going to the foil.

I ran each of them on just a 15kv/30ma NST and they got hot after 15 minutes
with the gap opened up. Ran them again with 2 in series (60kv) and they started
to get warm after about 1 hour.
I bought them to use as part of my NST protection but am also wondering if they
could be used in series+parallel as a main cap.