[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Torroid Formula (To Bart + All others)

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Tab,
>
> As Antonio pointed out, Ct = Ctop + Cs. The fact that the toroid placed on
top
> of the coil does change slightly is not a big deal as far as tuning goes.
The
> change is usually not significant enough. However, when "designing" a
coil, the
> parameter I would look into is power processed. The higher the power, the
> longer the streamers. Higher power allows for a larger Ctop to increase
the
> level of breakout and acheive longer streamers. If you design Ctop based
on
> "coil dimensions, inductances, capacitance distribution, etc.." without
> involving how much power is to be pumped in, then anything goes - meaning
Ctop
> may be too small or too large. This is why I was curious as to your
"method" of
> designing the toroid. I started a design a year ago or so for Ctop based
on
> energy per second, but ran into a problem with it (I don't even remember
what
> the problem was) and ended up using an average value based on Cself
derived
> from emperical data. I've recently discovered this was not a good method.
> don't think the toroid should be so difficult to design on paper, but it
has
> been. I think to resolve the problem, many test should be carried out on
> several coil sizes, several power levels, and several toroid sizes and
> surfaces. Until then, I think if one wants to make the toroid "perfect"
for the
> coil being run, then one should just experiment.
>
> Bart

Hi Bart,

Reading your post I had maybe an interesting idea to easily change the
capacity of a toriod:
get an inner tire of suitable size (or a couple of course), blow it up (not
too far! ;-) ), spray it with some electrical conducting spray (I now it
exist, if you need details ask me. Maybe I have time this week to go to the
store where I saw it to buy it myself) and now you can very the capacitance
very precise (I hope that stuff will hold on the tire) by letting some air
go or pump it up again! If this works, you could use an electrical airpump
and an air-valve together with some electronics to measure the secondary
top-voltage to couple the signal back (this could become Rudy's Resonance
Feedback or RRF ;-) ).

If you look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~solva/tesla.htm , you will see inner
tires with Al foil and plastic tape. This was made by Arwin Wijnschenk,
another Dutch coiler and member of the DUTCH. Maybe this is also an option
for you (without the proposed feedback of course).

Greetings from Holland.

Ruud de Graaf