[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: MMC Protection SGap current limit

A cap safety gap should definitely have a series resistor for exactly the
reason you described. Just be sure that the safety gap electrodes have large
radii of curvature, like brass drawer pulls.  If you just use a curved piece
of wire, corona will cause premature discharge.

But I challenge anyone to give me a reason why the cap needs a safety gap at
all.  The cap voltage prior to firing is identical to the voltage on the
main gap, then it's all downhill from there.  Assuming the main gap is a
static gap, the main gap voltage will be absolutely limited by the gap
setting, with further safety given by the safety gap at the NST.  There is
no way that the cap voltage can exceed that of the main gap.  I maintain
that if one's main and/or (NST) safety gaps are properly set, there is no
need for an additional cap safety gap.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA