[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum spark gap

Huge difference... In a sealed vacuum gap, you have to worry about
evaporated metal depositing on the walls and creating a sneak path
(typically a floating wall will take care of this, since the evaporated
metal does go in a straight line).

In a pressurized gap, you don't have this problem. (although you have
others).  Cooling in a pressurized gap is conceivably easier as well (more
gas to carry the heat away).

There is quite a bit of literature on vacuum and pressurized gaps (with all
manner of gases) from the 30's and 40's, particularly with respect to WWII
radars, which often used rotary spark gaps as a modulator.  Such useful
information as electrode wear, heating, lifetimes, etc.  A good place to
start would be the RadLab series of books, the sections by Glasoe and
Lebacqz (sp?) in particular.