[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum spark gap

Gavin is basically right.  A vacuum is a fairly good insulator.  The
breakdown is by field emission of electrons, which knocks a few electrons
off the electrode, which then starts to get warm, and then, once it's
going, vaporized metal ions keep it going.  It doesn't take much metal to
do this BTW.

Xrays would be a problem when you get over about 10 kV, but assuming you
put the thing in a metal can, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Quenching may prove to be a problem.

There are several on this list (and in the archives) who have made gaps
from retrofitted vacuum circuit breakers.  A little practical experience is
worth hours of dialectic.