[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: air blast vs. static spark gaps

HEY "kid"-

    Can you tell me why an air blast gap isn't a static spark gap? I mean if
your description of an air gap is right, then doesn't that mean that the two
electrodes, made of whatever you want to use, stay in one place and don't
move? According to websters dictionary, static means "characterized by a lack
of movement, animation, or progression" Seems as if this air gap qualifies as
a static gap. Off the top of my head the only non-static spark gap would be
an RSG since those electrodes have movement.
    From my tesla coiling, the "carp gap" I'm using doesn't require much
cleaning, even after running hard and blowing up caps. Even when I did clean
it, I merely ran some sandpaper on the sides of the pipe. total cleaning time
was less than 5 minutes.
    When I ran a static gap and I wanted to adjust the width of the gap, all
I did was move the tap point to a different pipe to get more gap spacing.
This is about as simple as turning a screw. I don't see what the big deal is?

-Alan Yang

In a message dated 4/30/00 3:27:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com