Re: Tesla simulation software project

"boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote:

> The Program in question should be able to simoulteneosly solve
> large set of diff. eqs. arising from 1000s of elements of
> secondary network scheme.

tsim.c does so, but only for the steady state AC equations,
so its just a big matrix of complex coefficients.

> (In first place,I'm refering to overall
> inductive and capacitive  coupling of  every each turn
> towards others and turns to ground capacities  ).

Turn to ground: yes; turn to immediate neighbour turns: yes;
longer range turn to turn: no - this is a defect and I dont
know how significant it is.

> Graphical presentation of secondary response to Any
> given excitation waveform for each point (turn) of
> winding in time and space should be also an output

Some time ago I put together a time domain simulation of
100 segments, but it was too much even for a 12 processor
cluster. For now I would be very happy to successfully model
the steady state AC input impedance upto and including the
5/4 overtone.

> ...but to my
> knowledge you're the first person who stresses a need
> for powerful computer software which will put a stop
> to many speculations and  ponderings about secondary
> behavior.

Anyone who has ever swept a network analyser over the
input of a tesla coil will have been struck by the richness
of the response. It certainly leaves me wanting to improve
my understanding of the mechanisms involved. I do believe
that desktop computers available now are sufficient to
support a model of order 10^4 sections, and that such a
model can be of use in furthering our understanding of
tesla coil physics.

> I'm not a computer programer and I don't know if
> "brutte force" Microsim like programm dealing with
> 1000s of elements may operate in human acceptable time
> (some computer minded member of the list should have
> answer this?)  ,but extensive computer simulation of
> coil electrodynamics idea is definitely worth of try.

There are no significant programming problems in this
project. The challenge lies in understanding the physics
of the system and in choosing acceptable approximations
in those areas that are beyond our computational effort.

Nice to hear from you Boris - and thanks for your
encouraging comments.

Regards,
--
Paul Nicholson,