RE: CFM and RQ Gaps

When I was using an RQ/TCBOR cylinder gap, I tried both a 4.5"
computer-grade fan and a vacuum cleaner motor, both drawing air through the
gaps between the cylinders.  Photos of the gap may be seen on my web site
at: http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/RQGap.htm

I noted no performance difference between the fan and the vacuum cleaner
motor, but performance plummets if the airflow is turned off completely.
The 4.5" fans are typically rated in the 60-100 CFM range, although the
actual number is highly dependent upon the back pressure.  The effectiveness
of the fan is also probably dependent upon whether the air passes through
the gaps or just blows through the pipes.  The CFM of the vacuum cleaner
motor is unknown but many times greater than the 4.5" fan.

It is also interesting to note that several well-respected coilers have
reported that their gaps appear to work just fine with NO airflow.  It's
unclear if they tried it with airflow for a true with/without comparison.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA