Re: Superiority of the magnifier

Hi Adam,
I  have built a magnifier, only a little one, and these are the practical
advantages. First the HV output is far removed from the primary circuit, so
poor
craftsmen such as my self don't have to worry to much. Second, things don't
seem
that critical, i.e. I used any old secondary and any old extra coil, but
got some
good results. Generally, I have found, if you coil is not up to much, then
stick a
bigger secondary on top. Of course, make a real effort, and the effects are
very
good!

As for the technical side, well higher coupling means more power transfer
into the
secondary system. But it also means tuning problems through mutual
inductance, the
magnifier gets around this by keeping the free resonator well away from the
primary
field. Personally I feel that it is no different to a base fed resonator