Rebuilding NST

I have unpotted a 15/30 nst and removed 2 shunt plates from each side of
each secondary (eight total). Is that too many? I assumed that when people
said they removed two, they meant two/side/secondary.? Now the primary is
loose between the two secondaries. Should I move the secondaries tight
against the primary, or place some type of insulating shims between the
primary and secondaries? I'm an engineer but not electrical, and am unclear
as to whether it is the removal of the shunts that increases the current
rating, or the moving of the secondaries closer to the primary.

My next question is whether I should repot this in something, or run it dry.

thanx
Adam Minchey
aspid-at-netzero-dot-net
ICQ 9397016