Re: New Transformer/Gap Quenching

Hi Boris, all,
                An addendum to my post:

On 6 Jul 00, at 6:36, boris petkovic wrote:

> Hi Malcolm,
>

> > and a high
> > magnetizing current (about 6A) due to fewer than
> > optimal
> > primary turns for the core which was the result of a
> >
> > successful attempt to boost its output with a fixed
> > secondary.
> ------
> I have an access to 220V/ 6000V-at-800 mA rated power
> transformer here.Logically, I'd like to employ it for
> TC powering project.
> Quick estimation for 2XFmains (=100BPS) discharging
> cap frequency and rated power output would give Cp
> needed in access of 0.5 uF!!
>
> .So,it would be totally inadequate for resonant freq
> of planed TC,and for my expenses,and  Xp would be to
> low  and not to mention   other problems.
> .

If the transformer does have k ~1 between Lp and Ls, you can
use a choke to provide the charging characteristics you
desire. In this case, your cap value then depends on the value
of the external reactor so can be anything you like. If the
inductor is placed on the secondary side of the transformer,
it will have a value in the Henries to 10's of Henries range
(for resonant charging match Xc to Xl). Transformer voltage
will be boosted by resonant charging action and the choke will
have to withstand the voltage burden (which is nice for the
transformer. If the choke is placed on the primary side, it
will have a value in the mH range - note that the cap is now
resonating with an inductance transformed by (Np/Ns)^2. The
voltage burden in this case shifts to the transformer windings
(which is why people running high BIL rated pole pigs with
welders in the primary get away with it).

Regards,
Malcolm