Re: Rotary Spark Gap - Construction Questions

Ross!

Forgive me for wawing my arms again, and suggesting another design than
the time proven one you have already chosen.
I am thinking about the "Model 2000" (I used to call it the "Milennium
Lace" because it was fun one time, but too much self promo now, I
thinks...)

Anyway, this gap was designed to take advantage of the more recent
possibilities that have become available in determining optimum break
timing. This is possible by modelling the coil in Microsim, and this was
pionered by Terry. The 200 BPS instance was explored in debth by Richie.
I scratched the surface running at 300 BPS, and you can see an account
of this work at my homepage, link at bottom.

This gap is not hard to make, and it has the advantage of full
adjustability of the static electrodes, so that you can explore the
thrill of more than 120 BPS operation even on an AC driven coil. You
have the fiberprobe stuff that is indispensable as an aid in setting it
up. As I have written before, this gap has hemispherical ended
electrodes, and this is in my mind the key to it`s success.

I make no claims to this observation, by the way, Bill Wysoc pointed it
out in a mail on Mon, 14 Jun 1999 in a post subjected:  Thorated vs Pure
Tungsten

Credit when credit is due.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to verify it`s virtues against other
designs.

Just my 10 cents.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm