variac brush

Hi,

Im trying to fix my variac, I got thit item at e-bay but upon inspection i
found one of the windings was shorted, so i removed the damaged part and
replaced it with new windings, reduced the new wires with a small sander.
I was also looking at the brush but I´ve never seen one,I dont know if its
worn down, the brush is triangle shapped with a flat contact.
Could someone provide pointers.

BTW: I was reading this book called The Elegant Universe and I came to a
phrase that I think describes very nice the output of a Tesla Coil
"The Resonant Patterns of Vibration"

Jorge Fuentes