Re: SRSG motor power

On that fateful day 7/27/00 7:21 PM, thus spake Tesla list:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Gomez, welcome back to the List!

Thanks.

> (it hasn't been that long, has it?)

I think so.  The last time I was on was two apartments ago, and that's been
almost five years.

> I can't say if the larger rotating electrode mass will
> over-strain structural integrity,

No way.  I did the hoopstress calculation and such a rotor of G-10 should be
good to 3000 rpms.  Don't try that with phenolic/linen or G-7
(silicone-based fiberglass) material!

Although I don't really expect the rotor electrodes to come loose (they're
an interference fit and are pressed in with several hundred pounds of force
on an arbor press), I'll be putting a blast shield around it anyway.  Not
sure what it will be made of yet, probably polycarbonate lined with
something soft to absorb shock.

> Hopefully someone can confirm this.

A mechanical engineer friend of mine confirmed it, checking my work.
My main concern is if I have enough motor to drive the thing.  This isn't as
humungous as say, Greg Leyh's monster gap for Electrum, but it's the biggest
one I'm likely to build.  ;)

> Are you planning on building a crattle or stationary adjustment for the SRSG?

I'm not sure I understand you- are you asking if I intend to make the
stators adjustable?  The gap space will certainly be adjustable, but not
while the thing is running- I felt it would be too complex for the big walls
of phenolic that form the stators. Note that there are holes in the stator
(around the shaft) allowing the thing to act as a centrifugal blower, which
ought to help cooling a bit.

> would recommend it as you will want to adjust this at some point. I am in the
> process of building a stationary electrode adjustment myself and wish I would
> have done this to begin with.

The folded steel base upon which the stators are mounted will be slotted to
allow gapping of the er, gaps.

 Thanks for the info.

- Bill Lemieux

Is it weird in here or is it just me?