Re: 4-1000A Screen Biasing...

Dan,
I would also urge you not to use a voltage divider resistor contraption to
achieve
screen grid voltage on a moderate to high power transmitting tube. It's not
"elegant." The large wire-wound resistance becomes a nest of parasitic
oscillations. According to the charts, you can put 5000V on the plate of a
4-1000A. The screen
voltage would be 1000V at 0.075 Amps. If I remember the arithmetic for that,
this means
a 33.33k Ohm resistor at an ugly 75 Watts. Perhaps I'm biased :-)), but I
would use tubes
like a pair of 5R4GYs or even 5U4Gs in a well filtered supply that could be
used with other
screen grid tubes. Don't forget a 10% bleeder across the output. Bypass the
plate and SG leads with a capacitor having a low Xc at the TCs f res. Also,
there is always a
handful of HV diodes. ;-))

I have 833s, 838s and 811s. All triodes. IMHO, I would not mess with tetrodes
or
pentodes for all the nuisance. IMHO.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman