Digital camera pix

Hi All:

Today I began playing with my new toy, an Olympus C3000 3.3 megapixel
digital camera.  This model seemed particularly well suited for arc pictures
because one has the option of reverting to manual focus, aperture, and
"shutter" speed, up to 16 full seconds.  The color and resolution of the
images just blow me away, it's too bad that the best quality images are so
large.  But I digress...

I've noticed that arc pictures show the so-called banjo effect much more
pronounced than do film-based pictures I've taken.  Does anyone know if this
is simply a result of the better focus and resolution, or does the image
sensor not truly integrate continuously over the exposure interval, instead
taking discrete samples in time and adding them?

A sample picture is on my web site at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/super_banjo.jpg
<http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/super_banjo.jpg>  (120KB)

Regards, Gary Lau