Re: Strange shock (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Daniel Boughton" <daniel_boughton-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > Antonio,
> >
> > I have seen this effect in un-varnished coils as well.
> > It is quite clear to me that we have a DC charging
> > effect during coil operation. I have seen this in
> > coils of all sizes but most prominently in the
> > equidrive (push pull) configuration.'
> >
> > While dielectic materials on the coil and the coil
> > form(as well as the ambient)  hold static charge I do
> > not believe we are witnessing effects from teh
> > electron cloud around the coil. We are seeing a DC
> > storage of energy as a component of the charging
> > technique. I bet you will not see this on a continuous
> > wave vacuum tube coil, no matter how much varnish you
> > have on it.
>
> Another place where charge may be trapped is in the interior of the
> coil form, again forming a capacitor with the exterior
> windings.

	How can the charge on the interior be responsible for effects observed
entirely on the outside?  If a person were to stick one hand inside the
coil and one on the outside I can imagine him getting a powerful shock.
On the other hand, insofar as static (DC) charges are concerned, the
coil forms an equipotential surface which seems to me to mean that the
charge observed must indeed be resident in the exterior dielectric
coating.  All my observations here have involved moving my hands up and
down the secondary and getting shocks.

> The charging system of a Tesla coil can't produce DC
> charges in the secondary wire, that for DC is just a grounded wire.
> Ionized air, with more charge of one type than of the other due
> to rectification effects of corona, can deposit charges everywhere.
> Charges deposited in the exterior or interior of the coil, separated
> from the wire by a dielectric, become trapped there by a capacitive
> effect.
> What is an equidrive configuration in a Tesla coil?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Ed