Re: performance/tuning question

In a message dated 7/26/00 12:12:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> John,
>
>  It depends on the power supply.  If for instance, you are using a 12 kv,
30
>  ma transformer and then double or triple the size of the primary
capacitor,
>  the coil will probably perform poorly because the transformer cannot
supply
>  enough current to charge the new larger cap up to full voltage.  If you
are
>  using a supply that can supply a few hundred ma, the coil will perform
much
>  better.  The average power going into the system will be higher and the
>  streamers will be larger.  This assumes retuning and that the secondary
can
>  handle the increased power levels.
>
>  Ed Sonderman

Ed,

If you're using a 12/30 nst, and you double or triple the cap (up from
matched size), and use a sync gap,  the coil will give the same
spark output, but the NST will be "protected" some from the higher
voltage that would result from using a matched sized cap.  I use
this method in my TT-42 TC at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page1.html

Cheers,
John Freau