Re: performance/tuning question

In a message dated 7/25/00 6:31:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  John,
>     To a point, this will likely increase the output - if something else is
>  not the limiting factor.  The output voltage is largely dependent of the
>  Cp/Cs ratio(or conversely the Ls/Lp ratio which would be the same if the
> coil
>  is tuned to the fundamental frequency of the secondary system and not a
>  harmonic).  There are of course other factors involved with spark
>  propagation, but this is one way to possibly improve performance of a
coil.

>  It is certainly worth experimenting with if you have the caps to do it.
>  Mike

Mike, John,

Increasing the cap size to 2 or 3 times the matched value will not
increase the spark length or brightness, but it will "protect" the NST
by keeping the voltage lower.  I have run my 42" spark TC in both
matched cap size, and LTR size, and it gives the exact same
performance in either case.  This work was done mostly with a 120
bps sync gap, but if I remember correctly, I tried both configurations
with static gaps also.  The sync gap worked much better, however
Gary Lau has gotten excellent results using an air blast single
static gap in LTR systems.  When an LTR cap is used, it is probably
a good idea to use a large amount of inductance in both the primary
and secondary to keep the tank surge impedance high..... thereby
keeping gap losses low.  If I remember correctly, matched cap size
operation is the only one that can draw more than the NST's rated
power without using a 140V step up type variac, but I'd have to
check my notes to be sure.

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page1.html

Cheers,
John Freau