Re: Increased secondary L, was Voltage determination

In a message dated 7/25/00 6:32:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> The bottom
>  line is IMO I don't think increased L alone with no associated increase
>  in power will give a noticable increase in spark length, assuming all other
>  associated variables of TC design remain unchanged.
>
>  My thoughts,
>  David Rieben

David,

One direct benefit of using a larger L in the secondary is that it in
turn requires a larger L in the primary.  A larger L in the primary
increases the primary tank surge impedance and reduces gap
losses which will increase the spark length.  This is the method
that my TT-42 TC uses to good advantage.  If I reduce the secondary
L somewhat, my spark length is also reduced.  Although a large
secondary L is "good", the secondary C should be kept as small
as possible too, because for best results, the C should be
concentrated in the topload as much as possible.  A larger secondary
L may also improve the impedance matching to the sparks, but there
is controversy over that issue.

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page1.html

Cheers,
John Freau