Re: performance/tuning question

Hi John,

> Original poster: "John Morawa" <morawaj-at-INTERACCESS-dot-com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering, if I was to build a TC with the tank cap double or triple
> the value derived from the formula used to match it with the impedance of
> the power supply (say .01ufd or .015ufd instead of the matched value of
> .005ufd) and decreased the primaries inductance appropriately so that the
> primary and secondary would both resonate at the same frequency.  What
> affect would that have on the system and output compared to starting with
> the cap matched to the power supplies impedance.  Has anyone done this and
> would this have much affect on the streamer length and "look" (whiter but
> less smooth, etc.)?   BTW this would be in a rotary gap setup if that made a
> difference.
>
> Thanks experienced ones,
> John M.

John, this is done all the time. If you go to a larger cap, you will increase
the energy at the cap as long as you have a sufficient supply to charge the
cap. With larger caps and supply, comes more power consumed, and typically,
longer arc lengths. Although, the system may not be as efficient as the
previous, it should give longer arc lengths. The sparks will become whiter with
more energy and power and usually thicker. You may need to increase the top
load size as well.

Bart