RE: performance/tuning question

I use a .02 uF cap with my 15/60 NST (with a static gap), twice the
mains-resonant value for the NST.  I find performance to be much better.
Nothing special happens at the so-called "matched value", it just serves to
put you in the ballpark for a value.  True, you would get a huge resonant
rise effect with a mains-resonant cap, but assuming your gap discharges the
cap at least twice per cycle, that can't happen.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "John Morawa" <morawaj-at-INTERACCESS-dot-com>

I was wondering, if I was to build a TC with the tank cap double or triple
the value derived from the formula used to match it with the impedance of
the power supply (say .01ufd or .015ufd instead of the matched value of
.005ufd) and decreased the primaries inductance appropriately so that the
primary and secondary would both resonate at the same frequency.  What
affect would that have on the system and output compared to starting with
the cap matched to the power supplies impedance.  Has anyone done this and
would this have much affect on the streamer length and "look" (whiter but
less smooth, etc.)?   BTW this would be in a rotary gap setup if that made a
difference.

Thanks experienced ones,
John M.