Re: Voltage determination

Thanks to all who replied,

It seems kv/unit measurements work within specific perameters but would be
fruitless for a TC streamer length. For example, a spark length at a static gap
measurement will be more based on voltage than would a streamer off a toroid
which seems to be based more on power and properly sized coil for the power
processed. (I use the term processed because I think of processing "this power"
into "those streamers"). I guess transforming may be a better term.

How about a static gap? Is 35kV/cm correct at a static gap? I would bet
temperature would vary that as well.

Thanks,
Bart

PS. Scott, I have comments below:

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com
>
> I just rebuilt my gaps to handle the new pig, and fired it up Saturday
> evening.  Going from approx 4KW to 8.5KW only gave me about 1 foot in extra
> spark length.

You've got me wondering what the spark length is/was on this stacked coil. Was
the streamer fatter in appearance? Many have reported this when power was
boosted yet spark length only grew slightly.

> Some interesting observations:
>
> 1) Before, when the arc hit a ground target, all other spark from the top
> would stop, Now, there are still streamers coming from other sides of the
> toroid even when one is hitting a target.

I agree that a bigger toroid would be the next step. My coil does this as well
and I too need a bigger toroid and smoother toroid.

> 2)There is corona coming from everywhere!  between my stacked secondaries,
> and around the output arc itself.  Maybe I've reached the maximum power my
> secondaries can handle, and any extra power is wasted in corona.  I'm going
> to build a new larger toroid this week to see if it helps.

What are you using for a top load? Kind of curious if part of the corona is
partially due to early breakout due to a rough surface. BTW, you gap you
"upgraded". Just what kind of upgrade did you do?

> In the end I had 2 stacked 8-inch secondaries wound with 23 AWG with a
> total inductance of 125mh, and the whole thing was about 9 feet tall
> including toroid.

Wow! The aspect ratio is way up there. It will be even more interesting to note
the spark length on a high inductance secondary with a 13:1 aspect ratio. Just
as interesting is how big a toroid you can throw on the stacked coils.

Thanks for sharing,
Bart