RE: Tesla Coil Computer Programs

John, Alan,
	You can have your cake and eat it too on the print-out of turns for the
primary coil.  I did this in my Excel spreadsheet version of yet another
Tesla Design program I wrote by using macro functions written in Visual
Basic (macro language for Excel).  I call the function from the spreadsheet
and it increases the no. of turns until the desired inductance is exceeded.
 Then it goes back and returns the computation results for N no. of turns
on either side of the closest correct no. of turns that exceeds the desired
value of inductance.  I set N = 1, but of course, N can be varied to get
more or less turns in the print-out as desired.  I'd be glad to email
anyone the code (free) if interested.  I use Excel from Office 97.  The
code would not be compatible with earlier versions of Excel - that's the
disadvantage of using Microsoft spreadsheets (sigh!)

On the flip-side, I agree with Ed and others that Excel is the program of
choice because all the equations, assumptions, and notes about empirical
data enhancement are there to see and modify.  Best of all, you can't beat
the graphing function of modern spreadsheet programs like Excel.

Second best to Excel is C or Quick Basic programs provided the source code
is included IMO.  I have had great email exchanges with Steve Falco who is
most gracious to distribute his excellent NTesla17 program with C source
code.  I have learned so much from his program and email advice that it has
really got me hooked on the computational aspects of this great hobby we
call Coiling.  I've been waiting for a chance to publicly thank Steve and
want to follow his fine example.  While I'm at it, thanks to Terry Fritz
too who's informational help has contributed to hooking me, and I'm sure,
many others on this hobby.
Dick