From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 6:20 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Voltage determination

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <M.J.Watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 22 Jul 00, at 11:26, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Jim, All,
>
> Agree about the needle and ROC situation, but I'm not sure about the
30kV/cm. I
> have no idea what it is but I'm starting to wonder if this value varies.
I've
> seen this value used (and several others). In the archives, I read a 1998
post
> from Bill Wysock stating that 13M "may" be around 8kv/inch (or near) and
that
> the output voltage was about 1/3 less than originally thought. This was
based
> on an IEEE paper he was reading at the time which appeared to leave an
> impression on him.
>
> I'm not sure if Bill remembers that one, but it did start me pondering
that
> possibly a volts/unit value may change with coil power, dimensions,
> environments, etc. If it does change, then is it too much to use a
standard?
> Maybe it doesn't - I don't know.
>
> I'm curious if anyone else has insight on the subject. Is there a
consensus?

> Thanks,
> Bart
<snip>

hi Bart,
         I think there is a sparklength dependency on voltage
but equally there is one dependent on available charge and in
the case of a TC, there is a repetition factor as well.
Consider a lightning bolt which travels far further than the
voltage estimates of a few tens of MVs that I have seen would
suggest.
      For a TC, run it up from 1BPS to ? and watch the sparks
grow. It may be impossible to point to one element alone (e.g.
voltage) and say that it is resonsible for a certain length of
spark since it won't get very far if there is no substantial
source of charge to back it up.

Regards,
Malcolm