Re: why? chilled spark gap tips gives more spark?

Deionized water is a fairly good insulator for HV.  Run a chiller for the
water and flow it through the electrodes.  After all, how cold do you want
it?   If you want even colder, you're going to have to go to some other
heat transfer medium.  low viscosity oil might be a possibility. Fluorinert
(like FC-77) if you're independently wealthy.  High pressure chilled gas
might be an even better choice.  Cold H2 or N2.. N2 you could get from
boiloff on liquid N2 (or you could use LN2 as the coolant).