Re: 3 phase distribution transformer question

> Original poster: "Foxall" <term-at-foxall-dot-com.au>
>

> say your powering this from your house, you may find that there are power
> outlets that run on different phases, if u can find 3 different ones, well
> theres your 3phase
> u may of seen PA equipment with 3 power inlets, this is designed for what
> just said.... hope this helps...

 Hi all,

Finding 3 different phases in ones house is totally impossible.  Unless the
house has 3-phase service, and I would bet that 99.9% of residences do NOT
have 3-phase service.  Now,  if you live on a farm there is a good chance
you have 3-phase service.  The idea of searching around your house for
outlets that "run on different phases" is crazy and impossible.  A possible,
but highly improbable, scerario could be three houses, close together, that
each had single phase service, but each house was on a different phase.  The
ambitious coiler, and two of his/her willing neighbors could invest in heavy
dropcords and obtain 3-phase AC at some central point. Two 120 volt outlets
in the same house that use different lines (L1-N-L2) will have opposite
POLARITY but will be in phase.  Some folks consider this (incorrectly)
another phase. Hope this helps.

Eric
edavidson-at-icva.gov