Re: Line Filter

Hi Jason,

Here is what I have done with my 3 phase filter (240VAC), pole pig:

I connected the LINE side in this fassion:
(with 240, typically 2 hots and 1 ground from wall)

N = neutral (connected one hot)
G = case ground (connected to mains ground)
L1, L2, L3 = all connected together along with the other hot

On the LOAD side:
N = neutral (hot out to one side of LV pig)
G = case ground (connected to pole pig case ground)
L1, L2, L3 = all connected together along with hot out to other LV pole pig
terminal)

I paralleled the L1, L2, L3 connections to increase current capability, but the
hot on the N may prevent any current handling improvement. However, so far so
good at 8KVA. Last year on my last run in MN, I blew a 1/2" hole in my filter
casing. An amazing black hole! The only thing I had different was using L1 and
N for the hots. This was a 30A 3ph filter. I am again using the same type of
filter (I have a few of them) but now I'm paralleling the mains. As I have
hinted to, paralleling may not help due to the nuetral connection. I'll find
out one way or another. I must say, I have little TV interference as I did back
in MN. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it's not the filter. Probably more like
the RF ground used.

If this filter blows, my next idea is to parallel a couple filters together
(another idea to consider for increasing the current capability, however, the
filtering capability will not increase).

For what it's worth. Take care,
Bart